AFGHANI PULAO (OR QABULI/KABULI PULAO)
As the name suggests, this is an Afghan dish. It was adapted by the Mughals in India. This is not a very common dish in Indian households. However, it is simple to make and you should try it. At least you wont miss that stupid peas pulao (yes I hate the peas pulao; exactly what's the point of it really?).
Basmati Rice - 1 Kg
Mutton - 1 kg
Onion (Medium) - 2 (Sliced)
Ginger/Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Black Cardamom - 2
Green Cardamom - 4
Cinnamon - 2"
Pepper Corn (whole) - 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
Nutmeg & Mace powder - 1 tsp
Carrot - 2 (diced)
Shah Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Raisin (Kishmish) - 1/2 cup
Refined Oil - 1 cup
Salt - To taste
1. Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Fry onion till golden brown color.
3. Add whole spices and ginger/garlic paste and stir fry.
4. Add mutton pieces, chilli powder, salt and fry for 15 minutes.
5. Pour 1.5 litre hot water and cook until mutton becomes tender.
6. Add rice in this water and cook until rice is half done.
7. Mix diced carrot, raisin, and nutmeg/mace powder (jaiphal/jayatri powder).
8. Cover and cook on slow flame till rice is fully cooked.
Serve with cucumber salad, raita, or use your imagination.
Serves - 8
Note: Remember that since rice is added to the meat, you need to add extra salt than what you would usually use.
Note2: You could replace mutton with beef, lamb, or chicken.